nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco's AIP vs HSSI

From: bmanning () ISI EDU (Bill Manning)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 07:55:50 -0700 (PDT)

    I don't think that HSSI was designed as a point solution
    until ATM came along.  Couching your answers in the context
    of an ATM solution is presumption, or so it appears to me.

--
--bill

Are you talking about point-to-point ATM or just point-to-point applications
in general?

My wild-assed guess would be that about 45% of HSSI boards are running
point-to-point HDLC or PPP and 45% are running Frame, with the rest SMDS
and ATM and god knows what else.

Avi

        The orginal question can be paraphrased as; "which
        board is better" (see the subject line).
        Tim S. couched his replies in the form of an ATM only
        solution.  I feel that the HSSI board was not designed
        as such.  Your comments seem to back up my assertions.
        I would claim that for raw throughput, and assuming
        the DS3 daughtercard for the AIP, that the HSSI board
        delivers more useful bits at the expense of an outboard
        CSU.  This is based on my feeling that HDLC is more efficent
        than ATM signaling/framing.

--
--bill