nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet II is coming...

From: swolff () cisco com (Stephen Wolff)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 06:25:04 -0400

The fiber infrastructure and the multiplexer infrastructure are good enough
to support both Internet and Internet II. What the Internet lacks for
Internet II today is IP tunnels with QoS. So I think that one IP
infrastructure could be good enough for both and will be some day. This I
believe.  :-)

It **is** one IP infrastructure.  The difference between a corporate
intranet and the academic version - I-II - is the stringency of AUP
observance and enforcement.

BTW, is someone going to build traffic monitors and diagnostic tools into
the Internet II infrastructure? Any new inter-domain routing protocols?
Source demand routing? QoS? Or are the universities satisfied with just more
bandwidth?

One reason for any vendor to participate is to try such things in the
fiercely critical yet basically friendly academic community.

-s

Stephen Wolff                                        Business Development
ciscoSystems                                         202 337 1213