nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why doesn't BGP...

From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 96 22:03:50 GMT

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () pluris com>
Regarding BGP metrics -- there's a problem with a single "universal"
metric in an exterior routing protocol, namely the absense of a single
authority to assign those metrics.  Different networks may have very
much confiliciting interests in how to assign BGP metrics.

Wasn't there a draft somewhere along the way on a global guidelines on
how to set the metrics?

Some time ago i wrote a draft (which didn't get any support and quietly
expired) regarding BGP metrics -- the idea was to have a vector of
metrics (one per AS hop) instead of a single scalar metric; and allow
network operators to calculate weighted sums to obtain the locally
significant scalar metrics.  I.e. a network operator may decide for
himself how to interpret BGP metrics coming from different AS-es
(or by different paths).

Yeah, I seem to remember liking that.  You mean that Tony and Yakov
didn't support it.... ;-)

And some of the other ideas were similar to Nimrod policy selection....

If there's any interest i can dig the draft out and place it on my www
server.

Sure.

WSimpson () UMich edu
BSimpson () MorningStar com