nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internic address allocation policy.

From: Billy Biggs <ae687 () freenet carleton ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:50:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

   Even the private, behind the scenes, allocations
   made by the IANA, such as the @Home allocation which was not
   made based on SWIP information. How could it be? They did not even
   have customers, just a lot of venture capital and the "right" people
   on their staff.

Regardless of whether the skids were greased on this allocation, the
result is the right way to go..

As a definite outsider to all this, it looks like much of 24/8 has
been given out in /16../14 sized chunks to various cable operators,
with lots of space in between them (some of them have room to expand
to a /10 or /11...).

The cable companies *do* have customers; they aren't IP customers
(yet), but they *are* customers, and no doubt the cable providers have
been able to demonstrate how many of their customers already have
computers and access to the internet via modem and are thus realistic
customers for the ip-over-cable system..

I still look forward to a future where every home has an IP address and I
thought cable internet access would bring that.  However, up here in
Canada a new service from the cable companies is soon going to move to a
dynamic addressing system.  The first reason they told me was that there
isn't enough IP space in the world.

Is it such a problem for them to purchase more IP space?  There is room
for expansion in 24, so as far as I can tell if they expect more
customers than they have IP space for, they could purchase that space,
correct?

An article I wrote about the current problems with this new cable-modem
service is located at:
http://www.magi.com/~bill/linenoiz/LineNoiz-release-3.1.txt

--
Billy Biggs