nanog mailing list archives

Re: Settlement Costs

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:19:22 -0800 (PST)

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:31:39 -0500
From: Scott Huddle <huddle () mci net>
Your argument changes from an economic one to a political one.  If
you want to run for office, there are better forums.  If you want
to convince people who are building commercial networks, get
some facts.

Now, that may have been an old report.  I'm sure MCI would be delighted
to reveal its current figures for plant depreciation and maintenance,
and the amount that it pays (the RBOCs) for unit timing and printing and
mailing the statements, along with all the payment collection costs.

When you are ready to send that to this list, I will accept your further
criticism here of Dillon's numbers.  Thank you.

Somebody who should know these things told me privately that the cost of
billing systems for MCI is currently 78%

While it can be difficult to figure these things out for sure I believe
that a significant element of the push by RBOC's into the ISP business is
to protect themselves in case the billing costs bubble is burst and they
are basically forced to flat-rate monthly billing or die. With an ISP
subsidiary they have a good chance of surviving by placing resources in
the ISP and letting the metered rate portion of the company wither away.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com