nanog mailing list archives

Re: high packet loss within Sprint infrastructure?

From: "Jim J. Steinhardt" <jjs () sprint net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:53:31 -0500 (EST)

   An additional DS3 was recently turned up between MAE-West and Stockton
and other improvements are in the pipeline.

    Jim

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:55:11 -0500
From: Stephen Meuse <smeuse () noc bbn com>
To: "David L. Wasley" <david.wasley () ucop edu>
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: high packet loss within Sprint infrastructure?

On Nov 13,  2:44pm, David L. Wasley wrote:
I hope this is an appropriate question for this list...

We have been experiencing severe packet loss, apparently within the Sprint
infrastructure, for several weeks.  Recently we've seen as high as 20%
loss.   Our users are screaming.  They can't keep sessions open to resource
providers, etc., to whom they are paying large annual fees.   Not at all
good.

I've heard recently that sprint will be adding more capacity to their
Mae-West connection, but at this point it is just a rumor....

We have been receiving conflicting stories fron Sprint about where the
problem(s) is(are), who is responsible, what is being done (if anything),
etc.

The loss appears to us to be worst at MAE-WEST but it seems to be happening
more broadly as well.

Can anyone else out there help shed light on this? Is anyone else aware of
similar behavior?

Thanks,
    David Wasley
    University of California