nanog mailing list archives

Re: I-D (Re: Out of date contact information )

From: bmanning () isi edu
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 12:58:25 -0700 (PDT)

From: bmanning () ISI EDU

    You might consider using the domain Example.ORG (sort of the
    RFC 1918 of domains) if you decide to build some appendixen.

If a domain example were all I needed, I'd do as you suggest.  What I'm
trying to avoid is aliases point to either real, or imagined addresses.
If I put "root: steve" in the document, some poor Steve somewhere some
time is going to get inundated by root's mail and he'll (correctly and
justly) blame _me_ for it.

        Might be a good time to reflect that using fqdn's in alias files
        is a good practice; e.g.

                geek: bmanning

        is less prefered than

                geek: bmanning () example org

        (Oh, and if volunteer use would be an acceptable alternative,
         please consider using bmanning as an example :)

--
--bill