nanog mailing list archives

Re: topological closeness....

From: gopi () ece iisc ernet in (Gopi K Garge)
Date: Fri, 17 May 96 10:27:06 GMT+5:30

Miguel A.L. Paraz sez:

Hello,

Gopi K Garge wrote:
    IMHO, in the context of the AP region, I guess we are overlooking the
    user perspective - locally available "Internet" content. Barring
    .au, .sg, .kr, .hk (?), .jp and .tw, I do not see any major effort
    around to provide locally, content that is available in the US
    be it the GNU archive, the WU archive or one-of-those Beatles
    song and lyrics archive - result - good amount of traffic to the
    US.

With limited bandwidth, updating these archives would be slow,
and, you wouldn't know yet if there are enough people accessing
these to justify getting a mirror.

        Oh ... I have complete details on how many hits some of these
        servers get from my domain and who in my domain are originating
        requests. getting these details is a matter of some dedicated
        hardware and a one time programming effort - the rest is -
        thanks to ethernet technology.

Caching should help getting commonly requested information faster.

        Sure ... but you'd notice that these are mechanisms to control
        your traffic across a low bandwidth link, but that's not the
        issue. The issue is where will the link that we have terminate.

      When one sees such traffic trends, why would an ISP even think in
      terms of investing in a link to a place other than the US - the cost
    permitting ?

In the long term, as the Internet becomes more common, regional content
will become more important, IMHO.  So develop the local content -
and the local infrastructure - and regional intranets, and virtual
private networks - will come in.

        When ?? I feel it is long overdue. If we are to "attract" intra
        AP region bandwidth investment - as in getting ISPs to interconnect
        within the region, there must be an effort to provide
        content. The ISPs may then have a case (not a strong one though)
        to interconnect locally. How do we do this ? I know that this is
        not a trivial question, but ......

--Gopi