nanog mailing list archives

Re: topological closeness....

From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () netrail net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 22:17:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Sanjay Dani wrote:

On a global level, how useful would it be to base the decision
on whether the client address belongs to the the InterNIC block,
APNIC or the european registry ? I can live with exceptions
such as an MCI customer in India gets redirected to the
north american mirror server instead of the one in Singapore
because their address belongs to an InterNIC allocated MCI
block. How often do these exceptions happen ? Where can I
find the association of address blocks and registries ?

I don't have any statistics on geographical exceptions, but the allocation
of IPv4 space by the IANA is available at
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/ipv4-address-space.

// Matt Zimmerman       Chief of System Management           NetRail, Inc.
// mdz () netrail net                                       sales () netrail net
// (703) 524-4800 [voice]    (703) 524-4802 [data]    (703) 534-5033 [fax]