nanog mailing list archives

Re: Worldly Thoughts

From: Erik Sherk <sherk () uunet uu net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 09:09:13 -0400

      Let's look at a hypothetical situation. ISP1 peers at MAE-E and
buys transit from MCI there. Now they ask Sprint to peer with them. Let's
look at how they reach sites on the west coast.

This is a violation of the rules of Mae-East: it is not to be used for
customer connections. ISP1 must have a private connection to MCI.

Erik

      Without peering, MCI gives the packets to Sprint at MAE-East and
Sprint returns packets to MCI at some west coast nap. That is, MCI and
Sprint share the coast-to-coast traffic.

      With peering, Sprint must take the packets all the to MAE-E as it
has a shorter AS path. All the coast-to-coast cost is borne by Sprint.

      Do you get that? Now do you understand the 3 NAP rule?

      David Schwartz