nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint's route filters and Europe

From: Yakov Rekhter <yakov () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 12:44:47 PDT

Owen,

From my (admittedly biased) perspective, it would seem there are two

    A) The socalist approach
    B) The capitalist approach

And, generally, I would have to say that for a resource such as IP addresses
and Internet registration services, option A is certainly better suited
to the task at hand.

Why option A is "certainly better suited" ?

Every time someone (who me?) brings up option B, we go chasing merrily
down one or more of the following ratholes:

    1) we need to conserve route table space, lets charge for that,
       not addresses (irrelevant)

Not irrelevant.  Highly relevant, but not the right solution to that
problem either.

Why this is not "the right solution" ?

    2) AT&T (or some other evil speculator) will buy up all the
       address space (and ISPs are just going to sit idly by?)

Depending on the situation, it might be difficult for them to do anything
effective about it.  It is a real danger, and could easily occur.

Why do you think this is "a real danger, and could easily occur" ?

Yakov.