nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet access and telco usage patterns

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 17:36:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Ed Morin wrote:

GTE has been promoting this model for several years now.  They seem to
be getting closer to something reasonable and I guess several ISP's are
considering and/or doing it.

Has anybody looked at the practicality of installing modem pools in each
telco switch location to grab the dialup user's traffic at the IP level
and then route it to their ISP of choice for authentication and further
routing. In other words, an ISP wouldn't buy phone lines, modems and
terminal servers, they would buy IP access ports.

I now find that BC-Tel is offering this service in parts of British
Columbia. BC-Tel is half owned by GTE.

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael () memra com