nanog mailing list archives

Re: problem at mae-west tonight?

From: Rob Liebschutz <rob () rjl com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 96 17:06:06 PDT

Yes, this type of topology failure is possible too.  I can recall times
when there were problems on the links between Ames and MFS.  Yes,
the link is  2 OC3s.

  Robert,

  It's my understanding that MAE-W is composed of two facilities,
  one at MFS, and the second at NASA-AMES.

  It's my understanding that while a virtual medium is created, they
  actually reside on two separate gigaswitches.  I seem to recall 1
  or 2 OC3s connecting the two.....

  Given this, it is, then, possible that the route server is located
  on segment A, while customers x,y, and z are located on segment B.

  If you are on segment A, and try to follow the RSes advice to talk
  to x, y, and z, you are depending on the links connecting the two
  segments.

  However, I may be incorrect.

  -alan