nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hostname Scam

From: edfang () visi net
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 16:41:52 +0000

Actually, I would think that the $100.00 is not a major concern (~5K
for entire US domain). However it is taken by other companies.
However, I wonder about this 'enforcement' of an idea upon other
people's 'property' (loosely coined here).  I just can't wait to here
of a suit about visit.netscape.com being an infringing trade/service
mark.

Ed

The postscript states an intention on the part of USA Internet
Gateway to register and enforce the hostname "visit" for any
<state>.com domain.  Sounds absurd, but you never know what
will happen in the US legal system.

If, for any reason you are not interested in this offer, surely you
understand our request that you not resolve a machine to serve pages on the
"visit" machine name.  None of you now has a machine named "visit" and any
future use of that machine name IN A SIMILAR MANNER as USA Internet Gateway,
Inc.'s would be deemed an intentional violation of our registered
trademarks, servicemarks, and patent(s) which may be currently pending.

Hmm.  Actually, it seems like an excellent method for avoiding paying
$100 for the registration of a domain with InterNIC.  Could this be their
motivation? ;-)