nanog mailing list archives

Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:48:17 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Peter Galbavy wrote:

ISPs are not given the opportunity to apply for topological *and*
portable address space (eg we are multihomed to the US - Sprint
allocations are not "good enough") from the InterNIC - we are sent
to the RIPE NCC because our physical location happens to be within
a geographical domain managed by the RIPE NCC.

You are the biggest ISP in Europe aren't you? How big? Couldn't you spend
a few quid on incorporating Demon Internet Services Inc. in the USA?
Wouldn't you then be eligible for IP addresses from the US Internic?

Demon is statically assigning IP addresses to dialup customers on a
large scale.  This results in adresses being used per customer and not
per dial-in port.  Obviously then number of customers is less limited
than that of dial in ports.  There is concern about the wastefulness of
this practise on a large scale and the non-linear effects it could have
on address space usage.  Hence it is *global*, read IANA, policy to
strongly discourage this practise and not to allocate more addresses
than three months worth of usage.  This is not just an NCC policy!

In the way we assign numbers, it is very linear. Just not all the hosts
are reachable all the time. We return ICMP Host Unreacable from our core
routers when a dial up customer is not logged in. I will try to explain

In a classless IPV4 world in which the old Class A address area is in
production use, would we have enough available IP addresses for providers
to do this on a large scale assuming that they would have near 100%
utilization in the blocks that were being allocated statically?

Didn't the experiment with 39/8 show that it was safe to allocate
classlessly out of the old Class A addresses?

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael () memra com