nanog mailing list archives

Re: value of co-location

From: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:53:06 -0600 (CST)

To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: value of co-location
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:29:06 -0500
From: "Joseph Lawrence" <lawrence () mci net>
      [...]
PS. Also does someone have numbers for the amount of
buffering in a DEC gigaswitch, and information on their buffer
managment (i.e. variable length buffers vs fixed length buffers).

DEC has a nice technical report about the flow control mechanism used in
the GigaSwitch.  Your DEC salesperson should be able to get you a copy,
and probably some other interesting stuff, (make your salesperson earn
his or her living...).

In some sense, you may be asking the wrong question.  I think the
GigaSwitch flow control mechanism pushes the buffering requirements back
to the FDDI stations (i.e., routers).  Consult the DEC report for the
real answer.

If necessary, I can dig up the document number.

-tjs