nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

From: "Brett D. Watson" <bwatson () genuity net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 01:55:40 -0700

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Tony Li wrote:

You should be more specific about _why_ you want a MUCH bigger CPU.  IMHO,
the box needs more packet switching capacity (and more backplane
bandwidth), but there's enough CPU there for the OS.

      Recomputing larger route tables, especially OSPF. Tunneling.
Encryption. Acess list filtering. Finer grain accounting (I'd love to see
usage stats for each interface over a day or so right from the router).
And most important to me, not becoming unusuable during a major routing
change.

  well, there is netflow.  not quite the granularity you're probably
looking for but it helps.  and since frontier has signed an exclusive
deal with cisco i suspect they might start moving more of the "probe"
functionality into the routers and switches.  the cat5k now supports
a mini-rmon in the box.

-brett