nanog mailing list archives

Re: MFS WorldCom/WilTel/LDDS

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:

I'm not sure we're over the hump yet, economically.  Right now if all we had
for content is the set of self supporting (profitable) sites who could afford
to pay metered rates for the packets they emit, it would slow down the growth
rate.

Right.
Many people don't know that the Internet is version 2 of the net.
Version 1 of the net was metered from the transport structure right out to
the content level. It flopped.

Let's take the golden eggs as they come out rather than killing the goose.

What an apt description of version 1 of the net!

P.S. version one used X.25 instead of IP and NAPLPS instead of HTML and
was called the Videotex industry.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com