nanog mailing list archives

regional aggregation

From: "William Allen Simpson" <bsimpson () morningstar com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 96 14:01:59 GMT

From: Dalvenjah FoxFire <dalvenja () ict org>
I'm not sure if this is the most completely wrong place to ask this
question, so please forgive me if it is, but I'm not sure where else
to ask it...

This is the right place, as you are talking about operational issues.

As someone who's about to renumber a public school district from a /24
to something else, what would be the smallest network to get (from
InterNIC) that would pretty much be guaranteed to be routed for the next
few years? I'm thinking a /22 at the moment, but am not sure.

Granted the best solution would be go to our provider (all the schools
in Santa Clara County, CA go through the county office of education for
internet access) and have them get an /18 or something and distribute
that, but they don't seem to want that. Should I push them for this
solution?

Yes, you should.  If all traffic goes that way, it is the root of the
topology.  Please renumber topologically.

WSimpson () UMich edu
BSimpson () MorningStar com