nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some corrections

From: rrv () uiuc edu (Ross Veach)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:22:26 -0500

At 9:59 AM 4/16/96, William Allen Simpson wrote:
Both Merit and CICnet are connected to MCI.  Correct?  My new
understanding is that the problem seems to be that MCI is stuck in the
middle there, and for some reason shunts some (but not all) OSU and
OARnet traffic off through MAE-East, rather than passing it more
directly to OARnet (through CICnet or otherwise).  And this is because
of some _source_ based algorithm, since this only happens to Merit
sourced traffic, but not other CICnet traffic, as you are using MCI to
hold together pieces of CICnet?  Sounds bizarre to me....

In any case, it still proves my point -- Merit and CICnet (and MCI)
somehow view each other as competitors and don't cooperate to carry
traffic by the "best" route, thereby clogging other areas of the
Internet (MAE-East) at others' unknowing expense.

Bill, you are way off base.