nanog mailing list archives

Re: Request for Comments on a topological address block for N. Calif.

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () sprint net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 19:18:45 -0400

That is not the new question -- i was trying to obtain the block
equal to 8k class Cs a year ago -- unsuccessfully.

How about treating Sprint's allocations as allocations for 10
providers in different geographical areas?

--vadim

Sean,

Currently Sprint receives the largest sized CIDR block the InterNIC
is permitted to allocate.  If you have a requirement for an even
larger block than please submit the justification and I will be glad
to pass it onto the IANA for approval.

Kim Hubbard
InterNIC Registry

Unfortunately, the allocations we've been getting haven't
been very big, and so we end up having to introduce things
as long as 17 bits to the world, where we might have only
had to announce /16s and /15s with a larger delegation
from a registry.

Block Name    Total Free Used                   Free Blocks
               Cs    Cs         1   2   4   8  16  32  64 128 256 512 1024
East           2863  233  91%   1           1       1   1   1
West           2176   51  97%   1   1           1   1
South          2176   47  97%   1   1   1   1       1
North          1920  218  88%       1       1   1       1   1
NorthEast      1408  211  85%   1   1           1       1   1
SouthWest       768  173  77%   1       1   1       1       1
NYSERNet        512  129  74%   1                           1
ICM-Atlantic    128  122   4%       1       1   1   1   1
        TOTAL 11951 1184  90%   6   5   2   5   4   5   4   5

So, beacause we are clever and do a mix of provider-based
and geography-based allocation (but it is a mix of both,
with an emphasis on the provider part), we end up with
blocks that are starving, but a single huge allocation that
isn't full enough to have a new large allocation done by the
registry.

      Sean.