nanog mailing list archives

Re: Motion for a new POST NSF AUP

From: Justin Newton <justin () rainbow dgsys com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 05:10:41 -0400 (EDT)

The only question that I have is what does this do to your position as a
"common carrier like" organization?  It weakens it horrendously.  I wish
that it didn't, and when I start my ISP up, Jan 1st (as opposed to the
one I am working for now), I will have an AUP, but just be aware, it
/does/ weaken your position as a "common carrier like" organization.  It
is at that point that you should start to seriously consider removing
binaries groups and other things, and finding a way to act immediately on
things like someone saying that one of your users violated a copyright
law or the like.  I am not advocating one way or the other, just saying
that you should stand to one side of the road or the other, not the middle.

I plan to stand on the side where I can have an AUP, and plan to have my
lawyer make a fair number of decisions on things like what do I do when
someone tells me a user has violated copyright, etc etc.  I also plan to
purchase news services from someone else in the beginning so that I am
not a news distributor, I am only giving people a way to view it (News
will never be stored on my systems).  Maybe when the water gets a little
less rocky I'll start using my own news server.  Those decisions are
mine, not yours, you can of course make your own.  I made mine after
hours of consultation with my lawyer, as well as talking to several other
lawyers.  You should do the same.