nanog mailing list archives

Re: links on the blink (fwd)

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 21:08:46 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, Scott Bradner wrote:

10% packet loss is quite within the normal range of parameters for a
packet switching network such as the Internet.

Well, I don't think I will need to be reminded not to buy Internet service
from your organization.

Why not? We don't run the Internet, we just connect people to it. And our
10Mbps fibre ATM link rarely gets to 25% utilization.

I consider it a problem when the loss exceeds 1% through this long path -
as do the people who run the networks that my traffic passes through.  The
normal loss through this path is less than 1% and, much of the time it is 0.

momentary samples such as yours are meaningless. One moment you can have
0% loss, the next moment 10%. I will agree that sustained high loss
levels are not acceptable, but isolated ping measurements do not measure
that.

But nothing is broken. There is no inter-ISP level.

It is so much easier to just say it is the other guy's problem.
Hans-Werner suggests that most phone companies do not take this attitude,

I disagree. If you get busy signals or recorded messages from a telco
other than the one who provides your local phone service, the most they
will do is to promise you that they will look into it and/or inform the
company whose service appears to be the problem. This is all any ISP can
do when a customer complains that ISP X is not reachable or that ISP X's
site appears to be overloaded. I am talking about ISP's here, not NSP's.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael () memra com