nanog mailing list archives

Re: Links on the blink - what will/should mci & sprint do?

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 14:33:26 -0500

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.951118235535.11322D-100000 () tigger jvnc net>, Gordon C
ook writes:
Sean writes:

Thirdly, there are some very cunning
ideas being proposed by various hardware people for making
the 7500 do interesting things on the switching front that
very probably will get the router to deal with the kinds of
loads you're asking about.

COOK:  does this mean that there is some way to get the cisco to behave
like the cascade switch I asked about??  If not what in general does it mean?

Finally you said if the 7500 doesn't perform well then you might have to
do the redesign I asked about.... meaning going to an atm switched
backbone with routers at the periphery of the backbone??

Gordon Cook, Editor & Publisher       Subscript.: Individ-ascii  $85
The COOK Report on Internet                Non Profit.          $150
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618          Small Corp & Gov't   $200
(609) 882-2572                             Corporate            $350
Internet: cook () cookreport com              Corporate. Site Lic  $650
Newly expanded COOK Report Web Pages http://pobox.com/cook/

We are bound by non-disclosure to limit what we say about future
products of the vendors we have chosen for final evaluation.  I don't
think it is any big secret that vendors do have new products in the
works.  IMO- the so called "wall" is not a problem but you need some
heftier routers than what is commonly used today.

I don't like the idea of going into a layer 2 and letting layer 2 deal
with it.  You can probably build a working network either way.
Equipment cost per port is not our highest priority, it is secondary.
Stability and low loss in our backbone is a very high priority.  That
says a lot about why the technology we ar looking at is different than
PSI, Alternet, and Netcom (and maybe a bit different than Sprint too).
ANS charges more for a reason.

Curtis