nanog mailing list archives

Re: Links on the blink - what will/should mci & sprint do?

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 20:22:24 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 18 Nov 1995, Alan Hannan wrote:

        2) What is being done w/in our favorite vendor (Cisco) to
         provide products capable of the next order of magnitude
         of power required for Backbone routers?

         Mention is made of the switched folks, what are they
         using?  Is it reliable (enough)?  Is it cost-effective?

Remember that there are at least three other vendors who may have
solutions that will beat Cisco's capability but because this *IS* a
competitive market we aren't likely to hear much about their technology
until they are sure they can get their solutions to market and capture a
reasonable market share before anyone can copy them.

The 3 I am thinking of are N-Cubed, Bay Networks and IBM. In fact there
could even be others out there keeping really hush hush about what they
are doing. Remember, there was a time when people like Vadim were
complete unknowns to the net/tech community so you can't always predict
what will happen based upon what the well-known people are doing.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael () memra com