nanog mailing list archives

Re: Motion for a new POST NSF AUP

From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm3 () is chrysler com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 00:03:13 -0500

At 10:56 AM 10/16/95 +0100, Havard.Eidnes () runit sintef no wrote:
   Another suggestion was that SMTP headers always contain the
   IP address.  I've seen this in quite a few mailers already.
   All we need is a slight modification to the SMTP Receipt
   standard.  This could be a Best Current Practice, quickly
   published!

Hm, this is already covered.  RFC 1123 says:

     5.2.8  DATA Command: RFC-821 Section 4.1.1
        *    The FROM field SHOULD contain both (1) the name of the
             source host as presented in the HELO command and (2) a
             domain literal containing the IP address of the source,
             determined from the TCP connection.

Big deal.  Since it is only SHOULD many mailers, like CDC's MAIL*Hub profess
not to support it, as it is not a MUST...

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212