nanog mailing list archives

Re: Not to beat a dead horse

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 23:46:51 -0500

In message <199512190336.WAA10374 () netaxs com>, Avi Freedman writes:
But I still see 4 /24s advertised in 208/8:

208.0.1.0
208.0.4.0
208.0.5.0
208.0.9.0

Now, besides the fact that 208.0.4.0 & 208.0.5.0 could be 208.0.4.0/23
(grin), what IS the appropriate way to deal with an ongoing situation
where un-NIC-allocated IP space is advertised on the Internet?

We have no plans to implement incoming route filters on 208/8 - who
knows when the NIC will start allocating out of it.

Obviously, having announcements of unallocated address space "work" for
the long term is a bad precedent to set.  Yes, it can be a pain to deal
with the NIC (which is following policies approved of by most NSPs)
to get address space, but ...

Avi

These are not registered in the IRR so ANS won't route to them.

Curtis