nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR FAQ

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 16:22:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Dave Siegel wrote:

Let's excuse the fact that gated consumes more memory than a cisco for the
same amount of routes for a second...

Okay, so let's talk functionality.

Are there HSSI PCI cards available?  Can you do SMDS over this card?  Frame?
What about a DS3 ATM card, or higher?

I know we can do Ethernet, FDDI, sync, and T1 FR, so that's half of it, but
there are still lot's of reason's to buy Cisco gear.

I'm not excusing the possibility of being able to use PC's, but the additional
management issues of having to manage Unix box's in addition to internal
routing policies, and expansion efforts sounds like a headache.  Managing
a network of Cisco's requires a relatively small amount of time, and my staff
and I can concentrate on real problems.

Ok, yes you are correct you can't drop a DS3 into the back of a PC, but
why not use a 4500 or 7000 for your ds3's and then use a PC to do the
major BGP4? On a 4500 I only can put in 32 megs or ram. Yes gated will
use more ram for the same number of routes, but I can put 128 meg or more
in a PC.

I think we need to talk about using PC route servers and cisco together
for a solution, the cisco's just can't hold the ram needed.

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite B-5
Email   sales () netrail net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest