nanog mailing list archives

Re: Non-Routing BGP Speakers

From: Michael Dillon <michael () junction net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 23:05:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with (or thoughts
about) this approach?  Given that 64 MB of RAM for routing tables
woudl cost only around $2,000, this seems like a totally sensible way
to build a small, multi-homed AS.  Will finding a vendor-supported
system for this be ... difficult?  (I'm not exactly sure whether a
BSD box running Cornell GateD counts as "vendor-supported".  ;-)

BSDI works and comes with gated, though not the latest.  The Riscom-N2
is supported by BSDI and can give you 2 56k or even T1 lines speaking
Cisco HDLC or PPP.  I can't say I've ever tried it, but some people
say it would all work fine.  You could also take a subset of full
routing since you probably won't be doing transit between major
providers.

Emerging Technologies also makes sync cards with drivers supported under
BSDI, FreeBSD and some forms of SysV UNIX.

They have been discussed on either (or both) the inet-access and
bsdi-users lists in the past. Archives for inet-access are at earth.com
(or is that ftp.earth.com) and for bsdi-users at ftp.bsdi.com. There is
sometimes a search engine available for bsdi-users from a link at
http://www.bsdi.com.

I got my info by emailing dennis () et htp com but you could phone
(516) 271-4525 or fax (516) 271-4814

So there are at least two possibilities for building 80x86 boxes into
routers by using off-the-shelf sync cards and UNICES.

with NetBSD on an older Sun.  For PCs there is BSDI, FreeBSD, Linux.

I believe that support for sync cards under Linux is fairly new. Tread
carefully there.

If you can afford to be dual homed, you probably can afford a router
rather than a PC serving as a router.

There is also the question of support, spares, previous knowledgebase etc.
Build-your-own isn't for everyone but it is nice to have a choice.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-549-1036
Network Operations                                  Fax: +1-604-542-4130
Okanagan Internet Junction                     Internet: michael () junction net
http://www.junction.net  -  The Okanagan's 1st full-service Internet provider