nanog mailing list archives

Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?

From: Michael Dillon <michael () okjunc junction net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 20:59:26 +0000

On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, Vadim Antonov wrote:

It seems to me that this education is one of the services that small
ISPs ought to expect of their national service providers.

Huh?  Where did you see "education" in terms of service contracts?

If a person goes in the business it is assumed that (s)he knows
the profession.  It is certainly not the case for many US-based Internet
service providers.

In today's world of exponential Internet growth, I don't think it is
practically feasible to expect any significant percentage of ISP's to
_know_the_business_ before they get into it.

Conversely, it seems that the rest of the community ought to expect
that national service providers will be responsible for educating
their customers, (e.g., ISPs).

Sounds kind of over-expectant.  Considering that even large service
providers have real bad problems with finding engineers who know
what they are doing.

Yes, it is over-expectant to think that the national service providers
should provide direct one-to-one training for their customers. On the other
hand, as a small ISP who *WANTS* to learn and *WANTS* to know how things
work before diving in, I must say that it has not been that easy finding
the written materials at a tutorial level to learn this stuff. I have,
however, found quite a lot of written materials out there on the net that
help to some degree.

I know that among ISP's I am the exception rather than the rule and
although I would like to pass on some of this information to other new
ISP's through some of the lists we are on, the material I have is not
well organized enough to easily present it to others. If some of the
operations folks could scrape together some resources to collect these
materials into a coherent web site as an introduction to Internet
operations, I'm sure many ISP's would be grateful for the chance to learn.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-549-1036
Network Operations                                  Fax: +1-604-542-4130
Okanagan Internet Junction                     Internet: michael () junction net
http://www.junction.net  -  The Okanagan's 1st full-service Internet provider