nanog mailing list archives

ATM Utility

From: tjs () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 94 20:22:49 -0600

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 14:43:37 -0400
From: Vadim Antonov <avg () sprint net>
To: nanog () merit edu, schoff () us psi com, sesqui-all () ns sesqui net,
        sob () academ com
Subject: Re:  wiretapping continues....
Cc: psieng () psi com
      [...]
We will hit limitations of the present/then-future routing technology
long before we'll exhaust the possibilities to increase the
NAP aggregate and access bandwidth by cheap incremental upgrades.
That's the whole point of Sprint NAP architecture. ATM/SMDS/Flame Delay
do not get even close to what we achieve (and ATM is not useful yet).
      [...]

I believe that ATM, even in its perhaps immature state, is useful and
cost-effective in a number of applications today.  In particular,
the cost of wide-area DS-3 ATM services can be very attractive
when compared to a number of point-to-point DS-3s.

-tjs