nanog mailing list archives

Re: The "best" version of "ping"?

From: Jeffrey C Honig <jch () nr-tech cit cornell edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 1994 19:40:12 -0400

Throughout the years, I've seen a number of different versions of "ping" with
various features like:

    - "-f" switch which pings a destination as fast as possible
    - "-c" switch which acts like the ping function on a cisco router
    - TTL reporting
    - improved clock resolution
    - ability to specify data pattern
    - ability to source jumbograms

I have a version with all that which I have not packaged up.  If there
is interest and someone sent me a round tuit, I could make it
available via FTP.  It also does:

        - record route
        - loose and strict source routing
        - specify fixed or incremental TTL