nanog mailing list archives

Re: 20402 routing entries

From: "Jon 'Iain' Boone" <boone () prep net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 16:33:56 +0100

You mean assert network numbers like Appletalk allows for?!?

On Fri, 15 Apr 1994, Walt Haas wrote:

However, if we could develop a technology which could make renumbering
of a network (ie. a company, university or similar-sized unit) fast and
efficient, this premise would break down and it would no longer be unreasonable
to consider renumbering the organization when switching providers.

Suppose, for example that Domain Names were sacred but a daemon could
somehow touch every machine in a certain domain simultaneously and give
it a new number, while simultaneously updating the routing tables that
pointed into that domain?

No, I don't have an RFC written, sorry, it's just an idea.

/*  Jon 'Iain' Boone  Production Engineer  boone () prep net  */
/*  (412) 268-7874    PREPnet              iain+ () cmu edu   */
/* The opinions expressed above are just that: opinions.   */
/* They belong to me and me alone.                         */