nanog mailing list archives

Re: 20402 routing entries (renumbering)

From: hwb () upeksa sdsc edu (Hans-Werner Braun)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 17:53:15 PDT

Look, guys, get real. CIDR is a big kluge and it was predictable as
such. But as a second or third best "solution" it is necessary to use
it, as the powers of anarchy screwed the Internet royally two years ago
when the Internet community should have elected NSAPs. Remember the
IESG solicitation for IPv7, to then be all done and settled by November
1992 (or was it 1991?). CIDR is just a bandaid because the community
does not have its act together, and varieties of things are not driven
by operational requirements. I don't particularly like CIDR, as
compared to cleaner choices, but believe we have no choice but to use
it as much and as best we can. Until the IETF/IESG/IAB/whoever get
their stuff in gear and define and follow through on a process that
pragmatically looks at requirements, defines a reasonable subset as
strategic direction and people go off implementing and deploying it.