MS Sec Notification mailing list archives

Improvements to Microsoft Security Reponse Communications

From: "Microsoft" <0_41167_04BF067D-4CF8-4245-B5C1-58573E5746A8_US () Newsletters Microsoft com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:50:33 -0800

Dear Microsoft Customer,

I'm taking the unusual step of sending this mail to the Microsoft
Security Notification Service mailing list to tell you about some
changes in communications practices that the Microsoft
Security Response Center is making.

Customer feedback tells us that, while technical professionals
value our security bulletins, many end-users find them overly
detailed and confusing.  In addition, end-users who subscribe
to the Microsoft Security Notification Service receive bulletins
that are of interest only to developers or system
administrators.

To help customers, for each issue, we will now create a less
technical end-user security bulletin that we will host at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/.  We will continue to
release the current security bulletins targeted to technical
professionals. The new end-user security bulletins will describe
straightforward steps that customers can take to help keep
their systems secure.

In addition, before year's end, we will create a new End User
Security Notification Service that will notify customers of
security issues in end-user-oriented products and provide a link
to the appropriate end-user security bulletin.

The TechNet security bulletins will continue to include technical
details that enable IT professionals to determine where and
whether a patch is needed or whether workarounds are an
appropriate alternative.

We have also received feedback that, while many customers
rely on our Security Bulletin Severity Ratings to help them
decide which patches to apply, they find that the ratings fail to
clearly identify the most serious issues.  There is also a
widespread feeling that the Severity Ratings are difficult to
understand and apply. For these reasons, we have modified the
Severity Rating criteria to help customers more easily evaluate
the impact of security issues. We hope that this more
prescriptive guidance will help you distinguish the most urgent
security issues. I encourage you to review the updated
Microsoft Security Response Center Security Bulletin Severity
Rating System at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/policy/rating.asp

Microsoft is committed to help keep your systems safe. As part
of that commitment, we regularly review customer feedback
and update our security response process to ensure that we are
doing all we can to meet your needs.  We appreciate your
feedback and hope that you will find that these changes help
you keep your systems secure.

Thank you,

Steve Lipner
Director of Security Assurance