Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Noob questions

From: "HD Moore" <x () hdm io>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:42:07 -0500

Privileged in an exploit indicates that you get root or SYSTEM equivalent access. Privileged in a payload indicates
that it needs root or SYSTEM. An example is the windows/adduser payload. We automatically compare the exploits to the
modules when you type "show payloads" to match these up.

Payload size is generally fixed. Most of the time that devs try to avoid this is when they forget to include a BadChar
or the exploit method isn't solid yet. We recommend working with a fixed size and using the exploit module code to
change any padding/framing needed to make the size you chose reliable. Setting a size too low will reduce the number of
compatible payloads.

Rename - yes. Move the old module to the new name, git add the new module, and exploit why in the commit message. We
try not to move things around too much as people may depend on them, but if the previous module name is really generic
(product_bof.rb), then it makes sense to clarify what specifically it overflows.

Keep in mind that module names should be lower case, words split by underscore, and you generally don’t need the word
"vulnerability" in the name or the title field of the module's metadata.

-HD