Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: OpenVAS XML imports

From: Stephen Haywood <stephen () averagesecurityguy info>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:56:50 -0400

There are two problems here. The first problem is that the XML report
includes an extra </report> tag, which was not the case with OpenVAS 4.
This extra </report> tag kept the parser from being able to extract the
report from the server's response. I have submitted a pull request to fix
this. The code change does not remove the extra </report> tag, instead it
extracts the data a different way and writes the report to a file with the
extra </report> tag.

The second issue is that the db_import command fails to recognize the
OpenVAS XML format when the report is downloaded using the OpenVAS module.
When downloading an XML file through the web interface the root tag is
<report id=...., which is what the framework looks for when determining the
file type. When downloading an XML file through the connector the root tag
does not have the id attribute immediately following the tag name, so it
fails to recognize the format. I think the Metasploit folks will need to
decide how they want to fix that issue. It would be nice if I could specify
the file type when calling db_import.

Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting
CISSP, GSEC, OSCP