Metasploit mailing list archives

difference between auxiliary and exploit modules

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:40:26 +0000

I've got a couple of modules to write to go with the MySQL one I recently
released but I can't decide if they should be exploits or auxiliary modules
so was wondering if there was a fixed definition of what should go where.

The modules are going to be reading and writing files using MySQL.

If someone wanted to read /etc/passwd off a lot of machines then having
them as an auxiliary module would be best as RHOSTS could be set and off it
would go but you could make a similar argument of ms08-067, I want to pop
shells on all these machines, set RHOSTS and go but it is an exploit.

I had a look through the wiki and couldn't find anything in there about it
so, what is the answer, what defines each?

Robin