Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: inline meterpreter payload

From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles () googlemail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:26:22 -0500

Hi egypt

Thanks. In the case of the second stage for meterpreter, I guess that:

A) At point 2 (read a 4-byte length) you remotely check the size of
metsrv.dll, correct?

B) At point 5 ( read length bytes into that buffer) are you downloading
metsrv.dll, correct? Is it transferred as a .DLL ? Is there any evasion
here? I'm asking because as someone pointed out some proxies blocks .DLL
downloads and also some AV gateways may have signature for metsrv.dll, not?

C) Finally, is it possible to do step 6 ( jump to the buffer. easiest way
to do this in C is cast it to a function pointer and call it.) with a whole
.DLL in that buffer? My previous understand is that you needed a proper
shellcode to do it, since a DLL as specific loading that I was not aware
that could be accomplished by being called on this way.

For example, I was not aware that you could store a whole .DLL at "addr"
and execute it such as ((void (*)(void))addr)();

Thanks.