Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: db_autopwn command?

From: todb <todb () metasploit com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:52:39 -0600

On 11/11/2011 08:17 AM, cedric viaene wrote:

Sorry if I ask a dumb question, but I have Updated Metasploit Framework on BT5, and the db_autopwn command in
msfconsole is missing.

Is there a change of database or am I just stupid?

It's a functionality change -- we are trying to clarify the direction of
Framework direction, and are actively discouraging the built-in
automation tasks of launching several modules serially or in parallel.

From
https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/wiki/Acceptance-Guidelines :

----
Automating a series of discrete functions is generally /not/ the
responsibility of the framework. Automation should be accomplished
through the API (see Metasploit Community/Express/Pro, MSFGUI, and
Armiage). Past efforts with in-framework automation prove this out.
Components such as db_autopwn and browser_autopwn rarely did what users
expected, and configuring these tools became a nightmare through
increasingly complex sets of options and arguments. Automating the
framework is easy and should stay easy, but the automation itself should
live in resource scripts and other external frontends to the framework
itself.
----

-todb