Metasploit mailing list archives

GitHub Acceptance guidelines - MSF automation modules

From: Nathan Einwechter <neinwechter () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:50:20 -0500

I submitted a patch to an open issue someone had created in Redmine
some time ago that fixed some issues that caused file_autopwn to
basically not work at all. After the patch was applied and tested (by
both the issue opener and myself), file_autopwn seemed to be working
quiet well.

Today Tod rejected the issue indicating that we're moving things over
to GitHub (see the blog post) and to take a look at the wiki there for
more details on what should/shouldn't be submitted (specifically the
acceptance guidelines), which leaves me a bit confused as to what to
do at this point. The guidelines say basically that automation should
no longer be submitted as a part of the "MSF core" (my words) due to
the utter failure of some of these types of modules in the past. If
file_autopwn is going to be dropped out of the framework, then I have
no problem letting the patch die. However, if it's going to be left in
MSF, then the patch should definitely be applied (if not my patch,
then at least some fix) as otherwise the module is 90% broken.

Can anyone provide a bit of clarification at this point as to what to
do (or not do) in this position? I have no problem doing a fork+pull
on github to get this patch in, but don't want to go ahead and do this
if it's no longer needed/wanted.

Thanks.

-- Nathan