Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: kind of off topic but not much -- Windows XP connects to mail server before logging in MBR exploit?

From: Jose Selvi <jselvi () pentester es>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 08:59:47 +0200

Since it seems to be a very fast action, I think you may use automatic
checks at the boot time, for example:

1) Set up a service which makes a TCP connection. Check at network if
your TCP connection happens before the evil SSL connection. If not, you
need to set up your checks earlier than as a service.

2) Set up a service which looks for information about the process that
makes the SSL connection. It's an unknown binary in the file system? If
so, maybe you got it.

3) If not, probably it's a thread in a known Windows binary. First check
that Microsoft signature of this binary is OK. If so, probable there is
another binary injecting a DLL in the process at run time.

4) Set up a service which look interaction between this process and each
other. When another process injects code to this, we got it.

5) Continue going back until you got the malware binary.

You can try also the reverse option, run windows xp boot process step by
step and see what happens. The malware sure is launched somewhere.

Another option is to look at google for the mailserver IP, maybe there
are other people that already know how this malware works.

Good Luck!
Regards!