Metasploit mailing list archives

changes to the packet capture / inject libraries

From: Tod Beardsley <todb () planb-security net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:58:51 -0500

See: https://dev.metasploit.com/redmine/issues/5038

If you notice something involving raw packet manipulation suddenly not
working anymore, this is probably why -- please reopen that ticket
with your repro instructions if you happen to see anything. I tested
pretty thoroughly, but of course, I can't test any secret modules that
you guys might have.

That said, the Capture#capture_inject() method should be backwards
compatible enough to not notice -- it'll take either a string (like it
used to), or a PacketFu Packet object, or a PacketFu EthHeader object,
and will take the last two and strip out the ethernet bits and add on
the correct ethernet header. So, you can still pack your bytes however
you want, though it'd probably be easiest to just pass PacketFu
objects and be done with it.

I'll have a blog post together later that will go into some detail
about How To Write Packet Exploits The Metasploit Way (or something)
soonish.

-todb