Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Pass the hash query

From: Jose Selvi <jselvi () pentester es>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 12:39:47 +0200

Hi TAS,

If you use the pass-the-hash technique to access to a folder, then the user rights would be Administrator.

When using psexec, it works in a different way. Psexec use your Administrator privileges for installing a new service, and this service execute your payload. Since this service runs as SYSTEM, your payloads runs as SYSTEM also. When the payload is executed, psexec uninstall this service.

You need to be Administrator to create this new service, but this service runs as SYSTEM, this is the trick.

I hope it helps.
Regards.