Metasploit mailing list archives

ms09_050 exploit killed 2008 server

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:51:19 +0000

I've got a fresh install of Windows server 2008 which Nessus tells me
is vulnerable to ms09_050. When I try it with either a reverse or bind
tcp meterpreter connection I get the following:

[*] Started reverse handler on 192.168.0.2:4444
[*] Connecting to the target (192.168.0.54:445)...
[*] Sending the exploit packet (872 bytes)...
[*] Waiting up to 180 seconds for exploit to trigger...
[-] Exploit exception: undefined method `socket' for nil:NilClass
[*] Exploit completed, but no session was created.

The server rebooted and then refused to come back up in normal mode, I
had to start it in safe mode then reboot it again. If this was on a
production system I can image some very frustrated admins.

Has anyone else seen the problem? Is the server locking up a known issue?

Robin