Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Pass the hash attack doubt?

From: scriptjunkie <scriptjunkie1 () googlemail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:20:27 -0400

If you really want to know how something works, I recommend reading the
source, running the module while watching the network traffic in Wireshark,
etc.
From the psexec source, how the metasploit module works (and probably the
Microsoft tool too) is to open the admin share and drop the payload, then
create, run, and delete a service of the payload. This is done by calling
the following functions over RPC: OpenSCManager, CreateService, CloseHandle,
OpenService, StartService, and finally DeleteService and CloseHandle again
to clean up.