Metasploit mailing list archives

SQL Server 2K SP0 magically protected

From: "Emma Schreber" <EmmaSchreber () gmx de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:39:10 +0200

I want to use the ms02_039_slammer exploit. So I set up a SQL Server 2000 SP0 straight from the old red MSDN CD.

SQL Server 2000 SP0 Developer on XP

The exploit didn't work. Neither did ms02_056_hello.
I fully expected to have to change a return address or something but it didn't even crash.

No crash, no log entry, nothing. Attached to the process: no exception.
So I installed

SQL Server 2000 SP0 Enterprise on W2K Server.

Again no crash, nothing. Both exploits.
I verified in wireshark that the servers received the data.

I don't think the MSDN CD from about 2002 is patched against this.
The exact version number is 8.0.194, so it should be perfectly vulnerable.

Didn't this exploit use to be very reliable?
Did I dream the whole slammer thing?
Please help me.