Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: RHOST is now a mandatory field for an auxilary

From: Tod Beardsley <todb () planb-security net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:26:41 -0500

Robin Wood asked:

The only mixin I'm using is Msf::Exploit::Capture which I need for
packet sniffing. Is it right that RHOST is a mandatory field for this
mixin?

RHOST is indeed mandatory -- check lib/msf/core/option_container.rb ,
under @@builtin_opts; Opt::RHOST is defined here (as a required
option).

However, like egypt mentioned, you can still deregister it. In fact, I
just did for a similar module, auxiliary/test/capture -- this is a
passive listener that doesn't need an RHOST, so as of r9027, RHOST is
now explicitly deregistered for that module.

The Msf::Exploit::Capture mixin got reworked somewhat recently so it's
responsible for both "capture" functionality as well as "inject"
functionality -- which, for most modules that used it, you'd want to
require an RHOST. This is probably why you suddenly started getting
nagged about a missing RHOST.

-tod