Metasploit mailing list archives

Unreliable exploitation with ms08_067_netapi ?

From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 13:48:05 +0000

Hi

I use nmap to detect Windows machine vulnerable to ms08_067, it works
very well. I also use nmap -sV -sC -p 443 target to get a precise
identification of the system, and it's very helpful like telling me
the Windows version and even service pack. It's essential to set the
target on metasploit.

Independent of this, to set a correct target I need to know the OS
language and if NX is in use or not. Metasploit has a script to detect
OS language on port 445 but my experience is very bad, sometimes work
but most of the time it just return unknown. There is no way to
improve it?

Also, there is a way to detect if NX is in use remotely?

I'm asking because most of the times the auto-target fail like that

msf exploit(ms08_067_netapi) > exploit

[*] Started bind handler
[*] Automatically detecting the target...
[*] Fingerprint: Windows 2003 Service Pack 2 - lang:Unknown
[-] Could not determine the exact language pack
[*] Auto-targeting failed, use 'show targets' to manually select one
[*] Exploit completed, but no session was created.

After that, I have no more shots, I only get

[*] Started bind handler
[-] Exploit failed: The server responded with error:
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (Command=162 WordCount=0)
[*] Exploit completed, but no session was created.

I'm using SVN version. I'm kind of disappointed, I tested in 8
machines and all failed like that.

Reading on google people say it may be because AV blocked meterpreter,
etc. Is it real? Change to a common bind_tcp payload may be a more
reliable option?

I personally believe it's a problem with offsets related with Lang or
NX / NO NX.

I tested 2 machines with target 9 (Win2003 SP2 English NX) and other
two with target 8 (Win2003 SP2 English NO NX) and all failed. I live
in a country where the native lang is English, so I believe it should
be correct...

Maybe there are missing more offsets for Windows 2003 + SP2? Maybe not English?

What your experience tells me? What you do in a case like that?

Thanks.