Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: meterpreter newbie

From: arthur <mail2arthur () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:33:47 -0500

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 15:50 -0600, HD Moore wrote:
Ah, you are running with reduced privileges. Try running "getprivs" and
"revert2self".
Thanks HD. I will try tomorrow, not sure my BT3 version of MSF has
those ;-)

As the IUSR account you will not be able to migrate into
a SYSTEM process (by design). This is like www-user trying to become root.
One more newbie question regarding using privilege escalation local
exploit with meterpreter: how the local exploit interactive with
meterpreter after loading and running it. Will that become a new channel
with escalated privilege? I will play this anyway tomorrow but for sure
you guys input will light me up.. Thank you. Arthur